<  Chit-Chat  ~  Does it make me a bad person?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:41 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Agreed. It's nasty indeed...but I guess as an ex-smoker I don't revile it quite as much.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:03 pm Reply with quote
User avatarTremerePosts: 845Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 2:47 pm
Really?

As an experiment I tried a quick puff on a cig recently, my exact old brand which I used to really love.

Yuk. Horrid.

I find these days I can smell when the guy in front of me is smoking in his car, even if we're on the motorway at 80mph!!

On the other hand, everyone has faults. Smoking is one of the easiest to fix.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:06 am Reply with quote
User avatarGet your clan name here - PM JuliusPosts: 40Location: San FranciscoJoined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:42 am
Jules:
[quote:5e5c1e500e]On the other hand, everyone has faults. Smoking is one of the easiest to fix.[/quote:5e5c1e500e]

Is it now? I have heard its rather difficult, but I will take you at your word as I have never had to try to give it up. Of course, that still does not change my repulsion - I am afraid a boy is going to have to fix that teensy problem before I date him, not while I date him.

A few years back they outlawed smoking in California's bars - I never thought it would work but it did. Now, when I go to places where it has not been so outlawed I can barely go into a bar or club; the smell is overpowering - I mean, whats the point in spending money on perfume, or cologne or even soap when all you can smell is cigarettes. I think a man's smell, or a woman's smell, is among their sexiest qualities - to obliterate that smell through smoking is ...ugghhh..

But enough of that. I am glad to hear you are taking some time for yourself James. I think everyone needs to after a significant break up - I have had two relationships in my life of similar length (5+ years) and I took long breaks after both and those breaks were wonderful. So, relax, enjoy your time, lament your lost relationship and grieve for it as you need to, and take care of yourself.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:38 am Reply with quote
User avatarEvil yet deliciousPosts: 164Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:49 am
[quote:53dfd5a54b="Kemintiri"]Jules:
[quote:53dfd5a54b]On the other hand, everyone has faults. Smoking is one of the easiest to fix.[/quote:53dfd5a54b]

Is it now? I have heard its rather difficult, but I will take you at your word as I have never had to try to give it up. [/quote:53dfd5a54b]

I tend to agree. I have a mostly addictive personality and of the things that I have become addicted too, smoking was the easiest to beat. The first time I quit, I used patches but was smoking again within three months. A couple of months later I quit again, cold turkey and haven't smoked since. It's about being in the right frame of mind.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:49 am Reply with quote
[quote:ce2ecd7fd7="battybaby"][quote:ce2ecd7fd7="Kemintiri"]Jules:
[quote:ce2ecd7fd7]On the other hand, everyone has faults. Smoking is one of the easiest to fix.[/quote:ce2ecd7fd7]
Is it now? I have heard its rather difficult, but I will take you at your word as I have never had to try to give it up. [/quote:ce2ecd7fd7]It's about being in the right frame of mind.[/quote:ce2ecd7fd7]

Totally. If one wants to give up, one will give up, simple as that. The first 48 hours are a bitch, but then you're over the hill and it starts to get easier.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:29 pm Reply with quote
User avatarVentruePosts: 1553Location: Virginia, USAJoined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 5:05 pm
Well...I have a fairly UNaddictive personality, so when I quit it was more about habit than physical addiction. I just had to endure the car rides and after meals, or when I was waiting around for someone. But as far as cravings were concerned there were relatively few for me.

The other thing I always found helpful was to take up jogging. It makes the consequences very immediate and tangible as opposed to "Oh someday it'll get me." Plus you tend to hack up all your bad stuff once you start jogging, feels like you're purging the system.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:01 pm Reply with quote
User avatarToreadorPosts: 433Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:14 pm
I think the worst addiciton is to food. You can't NOT eat. Second to that are relationship based addictions. I have MAJOR problems with that one, as most of you are aware to some degree or other. Second to THAT is IRon MAiden. Not sure why that is an addiction or a problem other than I just felt like blabbing that I'm going to see them in OCtober in Toronto :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:09 pm Reply with quote
User avatarGangrelPosts: 1117Location: The riverbank.Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2003 7:20 pm
Maiden...so sad :P :lol:

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Only Iron Maiden song I can think of is "Run to the Hills"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote
[quote:21bdcecfcc="Eveshka"]I think the worst addiciton is to food. [/quote:21bdcecfcc]

Oxygen.
[b:21bdcecfcc]
Oxygen is a very toxic gas[/b:21bdcecfcc] and an extreme fire hazard. It is [b:21bdcecfcc]fatal[/b:21bdcecfcc] in concentrations of as little as 0.000001 ppm. Humans exposed to these oxygen concentrations [b:21bdcecfcc]die[/b:21bdcecfcc] within a few minutes. Symptoms resemble very much those of cyanide poisoning (blue face, etc.). In higher concentrations, e.g. 20%, the toxic effect is somewhat delayed and it takes about 2.5 billion inhalations before [b:21bdcecfcc]death[/b:21bdcecfcc] takes place. The reason for the delay is the difference in the mechanism of the toxic effect of oxygen in 20% concentration. It apparently contributes to a complex process called aging, of which very little is known, except that it is [b:21bdcecfcc]always fatal[/b:21bdcecfcc].

However, the main disadvantage of the 20% oxygen concentration is in the fact it is [b:21bdcecfcc]habit forming[/b:21bdcecfcc]. The first inhalation (occurring at birth) is sufficient to make [b:21bdcecfcc]oxygen addiction permanent[/b:21bdcecfcc]. After that, any considerable decrease in the [b:21bdcecfcc]daily oxygen doses results in death[/b:21bdcecfcc] with symptoms resembling those of [b:21bdcecfcc]cyanide poisoning[/b:21bdcecfcc].

Oxygen is an extreme [b:21bdcecfcc]fire hazard[/b:21bdcecfcc]. All of the fires that were reported in the continental U.S. for the period of the past 25 years were found to be due to the presence of this gas in the atmosphere surrounding the buildings in question.

[b:21bdcecfcc]Oxygen is especially dangerous[/b:21bdcecfcc] because it is odourless, colourless and tasteless, so that its presence can not be readily detected until it is too late.

If I listed all the Iron Maiden songs I can think of, we'd be here all night.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote
User avatarOld Clan TzimiscePosts: 704Location: Seattle, Washington, USAJoined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 am
[quote:a5e2af7461="Eveshka"]I think the worst addiciton is to food.[/quote:a5e2af7461]

[b:a5e2af7461]GODS![/b:a5e2af7461] Did you ever hit [b:a5e2af7461][i:a5e2af7461]that[/i:a5e2af7461][/b:a5e2af7461] on the nail head!! And, seriously, if you've contracted a food disease (like I have-diabetes, high blood pressure) it's amazing what you crave at odd hours, mins., secs. of each day. *sigh* And not just ANY foods! Sometimes it's salt (High BP) sometimes it's sweets (diabetes). sometimes it's both!!

I'd kill for a hot fudge sundae, right about now! Or baked alaska, or key lime pie, or fugde brownie, or a large McDonald's fries or thoe cheesy jojo's with bacon bits from Jack-in-the-Box, topped with sour cream..... AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote
You can get addicted to Oxygen?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:07 am Reply with quote
[quote:2988261a87="Eveshka"]You can get addicted to Oxygen?[/quote:2988261a87]

We all are... we all are.

And if you think you're not. Try going cold turkey!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I breathe nitrogen. I was born with a weird defect and I have a tank on my back kind of like a deep sea diver. MAkes kissing and eating and the like very difficult.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
User avatarOld Clan TzimiscePosts: 704Location: Seattle, Washington, USAJoined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:29 am
I [b:085eabd8bf]used[/b:085eabd8bf] to breath oxygen but now I live in a major city and carbon monoxide as my gas of un-choice. :shock: Been a long time since I've been far enough away to get a taste of what purity was like. *sigh* Now all I have is fond memories and no sense of smell. :(